Thursday, December 10, 2009

Savior complex?

Here's another heavy topic for ya. Sometimes when we explain our reasons for adopting internationally rather than from the USA, I feel like people think we have a savior complex. The conversation usually goes like this:

Us: "We're adopting from Ethiopia!"
Other Person: "But there are so many kids in the USA who need families too! Why go through another country?"
Us: "We've been to orphanages in third world countries, and we've been to orphanages in the USA. You just can't even compare the two. Even if you assume that a third world orphan will somehow get enough food and medicine to outlast their terribly short life expectancy, what are the chances that they will hear the Gospel in their lifetime, in a predominantly Roman Catholic (which is very different in third world countries than it is in the USA, or at least it is in the third world countries I have been to) or Muslim or Hindu country? Slim to none. But here in the USA, we have Christian radio stations, Christian TV stations, Christian websites, Christian books in every store and library, Christian churches on every other corner. The chance of a random person in the USA hearing the Gospel is very high. So we feel called (and those are not words I use lightly) to adopt internationally."
Other Person: "Oh... OK, if you say so."

My first response to that is to be annoyed. Who cares where you adopt from, as long as you adopt?! You're giving a child a loving family! And then my second thought is, "Hmm, I wonder if that sounds superior, like, I'm helping an orphan, what have you done to serve God with the rest of your life lately?"

That's not at all how we mean it.

We know that we are the weird ones - it is normal to want kids that look like you. I don't know why we do not have that desire - the only thing I can come up with is that God wants us to adopt, so He took it away, at least for now.

Also, we're not self-sacrificing in this deal, like, "Oh, look how we have sacrificed to give this poor child a home." We get more out of this than anyone - we get children! So although I suppose we are "saving" a child by adopting them, they are saving us in a way too, because they help us fulfill our calling and give us a family.

I don't know if I explained this well, but these are some thoughts that have been rattling in my head lately.

In other news, apparently the background checks we had been waiting on from Connecticut had been held up due to a miscommunication in the home study office. *headdesk* Oh well. That just makes it less likely that we will get the child(ren) during tax season, which is actually a good thing because it would be very hard for Isaac to take a week off then.

3 comments:

  1. I've never gotten the "oh, look how much of a better Christian we are!" vibe from you. Don't worry. ;)

    And when I explained why you guys are choosing to adopt internationally to Jon, I got quite heated about it. Though I really doubt we'll ever adopt, I think it's great that you guys are, and probably saving some children's lives, both physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shorter explanation we read somewhere from (of all people) Angelina Jolie - "I don't see borders in the world."
    Seems to work...if these are ALL God's children, it shouldn't be a matter of loyalty to country - only loyalty to God.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete