Thursday, September 2, 2010

Progress(?)

E is not quite as scared of the dog anymore. He still doesn't want to touch her or have her touch him, but he doesn't scream if she's in the room anymore, as long as we're holding him or are keeping her at least a foot away from him. But he has gotten better, and we're glad he doesn't scream bloody murder every time she's near him. I actually think his freaking out and our locking her in the kitchen has been good for her though, because now she's a much calmer dog. I feel really bad for her though.

The tantrums have only increased. The update we finally got a week before we found out we were going to get him said he is stubborn. They weren't lying! Wow, he's stubborn. He'd rather disobey 20 times and get disciplined 20 times than just leave alone what we tell him to leave alone. And removing these things is not an option - they are things like doors and cabinets and the TV. *sigh* Hopefully eventually he will learn what's off-limits. I'm just glad Isaac is home from work this week to help me out with the (age- and situation-appropriate) discipline.

On the up side, he's really cute and funny. We took him to the park the other day and he loved it. He also loves to play cars with his daddy and knock over the towers his mommy builds. Last night we took him to church when only a few people were there so he could get familiar with it before we go to a service this Sunday. Everyone was excited to see him.

We've also been blessed with people from church bringing us meals. It's already been such a blessing to us. We don't have to figure out what ingredients we have to figure out what's for dinner, and we don't have to put it all together. That gives us more time to spend with the kiddo or to chill if the kiddo is sleeping or whatever.

Speaking of sleeping, does anyone have any tips to help a kid sleep through the night? He slept all the way through the night the first 5 nights we had custody, including one here, but since Saturday night he has woken up once or twice at 3 or 4am, and usually does not fall back to sleep for an hour, and then still wakes up at his usual time. It doesn't seem to be tiring him out, but it's tiring us out. All the books say not to let a recently-adopted kid cry it out, because they could very well be wondering if we're even still there - a valid question for an orphan - and they will not only not go back to sleep, but they will also be truly frightened and distraught. So we're kind of at a loss. Hopefully this will pass like the tantrums will hopefully pass.

Well, time to heat up dinner from friends. Keep praying for us as we/he adjust and transition!

5 comments:

  1. I feel ya on the stubborn front. All I can say is don't give in! All of mine are stubborn, though in different ways, and it takes time to figure out what works for each child.

    I have no idea about bedtime other than keeping lights low and voices quiet (or not even talking) so that his body is able to go to sleep easier. It's probably just part of the adjustment phase, but I'll really be praying for you. I know how not getting enough sleep affects me--it's HARD!

    *hugs*

    I'm glad he and Nala, if not exactly friends, have at least reached an uneasy peace. Here's hoping they make friends with each other soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He actually falls asleep quite quickly and is a deep sleeper, but then he wakes up randomly at 3am or 4am. Gah.

    Thanks, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam did the same thing for a while. A friend recommended waking him up at around 2 am to break his cycle. It was scary, b/c I was sure Sam would just be totally awake, but we just rubbed his back a little bit and woke him up enough to tell him we loved him (maybe give a little milk). It seemed to get him out of the habit of waking at 3am. We did it for a a few nights, and then he went back to his normal sleep pattern.
    Is he potty trained? If so, maybe he just needs to pee! Sam is waking up early (around 4 or 5) now that he is trained, we take him potty, and put him right back in bed!
    Best wishes for a great nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will happen Bethany. Night time seems to be when they process the most grief and worry you'll leave them. We've almost been home 6 months and Ty's just now feeling comfortable enough to sleep through the night. You're doing awesome! Just remember he's testing his limits and making sure you're not going to leave him even when he's misbehaving. I've learned that their little bodies have a lot more memories than we give them credit for, so just give him lots of love and in time you'll both have each other all figured out!

    Hugs for the difficult days!
    Leah Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eden does the same thing. It is definitely tiring because I can't fall asleep after she falls back asleep! I just try to go to bed as soon as possible after she does so that I have a better chance at getting good sleep. I think it will pass once she's more secure, but I have always been a terrible sleeper, so it might not!
    I can tell now she's not really scared when she wakes up, mostly just mad that she's awake, and that's after about 2 months with me, so it will get better!

    ReplyDelete